Monday, January 4, 2010

UT TO ROLL OUT MORE PRODUCTS (PAGE 39, JAN 4)

UT Financial Services has assured its customers of the introduction of innovative products that would make banking more attractive and meaninful to the ordinary Ghanaian in 2010 and beyond.
According to management, innovative products that would encourage customers to initiate small and medium-scale industries and also expand existing ones would be introduced this year to accelerate the pace of socio- economic development in the country.
The Area Manager of UT Financial Services, Mr Moses Agyemang, who gave the assurance in Kumasi last Friday during an end-of-year dinner for customers pointed out that the management of UT was in a process of redefining banking in the country to make it more attractive to the ordinary Ghanaian.
The end-of-year dinner offered the opportunity for the management and customers of the financial institution to interact in a fruitful manner and shared ideas that would promote their respective interests .
Mr Agyemang pointed out that 2010 was going to be a year of action, explaining that, having come out of the credit crunch unscathed and overcome the challenges of the change of government last year, “ we are now ready to take banking to a higher level in the country to accelerate socio-economic development
We are going to redefine banking in Ghana and take it to a different level to enhance accelerated development ”.
He said the bank was also going to introduce products that would encourage its customers to venture into productive ventures that would enhance income generation and accelerated development.
“ We had a lot of challenges last year, but we have used them as springboards that would enhance a lot of successes in 2010” he noted.
Mr Agyemang said management of the bank would also create an atmosphere that would encourage customers to air their views on issues that undermine their operations.
“ We are now going to listen to our customers more and would also not relent in our effort of creating an enabling environment that would make their business thrive”. he assured.
He said management would also be committed to the implementation of all initiatives, especially those involved on how to be successful in achieving results.
Such actions, he said, would place the bank in a higher standard and therefore, appealed to customers to collaborate with management for them to realise their objectives.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

KATH CHOIR IN THANKSGIVING CONCERT (PAGE 21, JAN 2)

MEMBERS of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) Choir suspended their regular services at the hospital for a few hours last Wednesday and replaced them with melodious singing at the forecourt of the hospital to mark the end of a successful year.
Overwhelmed by the enormous talent displayed by the KATH Choir during the two-hour annual KATH Thanksgiving programme, the acting Chief Executive of KATH, Professor Ohene Adjei, noted, “Our choir has proved that they have the talent and ability to represent KATH at any choral concert anytime and anywhere around the globe”.
The KATH choir is comprises medical staff: nurses, doctors and ward assistants of the hospital.
Agya Nyame, Nyame Ye Odo, I Will Lift Up Your Name High and Anwanwa Do were some of the songs that moved the gathering to give the choir a standing ovation.
The other nurses, doctors, ward assistants and laboratory technicians who were not particularly gifted in singing took to the floor and displayed rare dancing skills which earned them considerable applause from the gathering.
In an address, the Regional Minister, Mr Kofi Opoku Manu, who was the guest of honour, appealed to the KATH medical staff to do away with all attitudes that undermine delivery of quality health care.
“May your hearts and minds be touched and filled with mercy as we enter a new year to enable your offer quality health care for the numerous clients who troop to the hospital daily,” he said.
“You should resolve to offer the best of services to patients for them to appreciate your effort, so that even in death, they would admire and acknowledge that you did your best to save their lives”.
For his part, the Professor Ohene Adjeicommended the staff for their commitment to duty and appealed to them to use internal mechanisms of addressing their problems instead of resorting to industrial action.
He pointed out that resorting to industrial action to address their grievances overshadowed the sacrifices they made to save the lives of their patients.

KONONGO HONOURS RABIU MOHAMMED (PAGE 31, JAN 2)

The Chiefs and people of Konongo in the Asante Akim North District of Ashanti have organised a grand durbar in honour of Rabiu Alhassan Muhammed for his heroic feat during the World Under-20 tournament in Egypt which saw Ghana making history by winning the trophy at stake . 
The National Under-20 midfielder, who now plays for Sampdoria in Italy, was decorated with a kente and native sandals during the ceremony in appreciation of the honour he brought to his native community – Konongo- where he started his football career.
The Chief of Konongo, Nana Batafo Akyeampong Nti II, also donated a plot of land to Rabiu.
The ceremony, which attracted a large number of people from Konongo and its environs, was also used to honour Sulley Ali Muntari, a member of the Senior national team. Nana Batafo Akyeampong also donated a kente and a parcel of land to Muntari who could not attend the ceremony.
The queen mother of Konongo, Nana Asantewaa Twumwaa Bankoni, the Ashanti Regional Co-ordinating Director, Mr Kusi Appiah, the Parish Priest of Konongo Catholic Diocese, Rev Fr Ofosu Amoako, the parents of Rabiu, Alhaji Mansu and Hajia Akosua Nyarko, his grandmother, Madam Ama Tenewaa, and the Imam of Konongo, Alhaji Ousman, were among the dignitaries who graced the ceremony dubbed ‘Homecoming’.
Overwhelmed by the large gathering and the enthusiasm shown in escorting him to the Konongo palace where the durbar was held, Rabiu shed tears of joy and joined the youth in displaying his skills in dancing to show his appreciation .
When he was given the opportunity to speak to the large audience, Rabiu said he would work harder than before to bring more honours to the Konongo community.
“ I am going to train harder than before to enable me break into the Sampdoria first team to entice the national coach to invite me to feature prominently for the Black Stars”, he assured.
Earlier, Nana Akyeampong Nti had commended Rabiu for his sense of discipline and commitment during the tournament and charged him to be more dedicated to national programmes .
He said it was only discipline and hard work which would enable the rising star develop his potentials and become a world- acclaimed football icon.
The Konongo chief said the feat of Rabiu had now made him a role model for the youth, and therefore, charged him to interact with Muntari for them to initiate programmes that would entice the youth at Konongo to focus on their academic work and develop their potentials for them to acquire skills that would make them contribute more meaningfully to the socio-economic development of the community.
The Ashanti Regional Co-ordinating Director, Mr Kusi Appiah, who chaired the programme, commended Nana Akyeampong Nti for honouring Rabiu.
He said the ceremony would not only encourage the youngster to fully develop his potentials, but would also motivate the youth of Konongo and its environs to be more dedicated to issues that would bring them into the limelight .

Friday, January 1, 2010

MUM, 6, CHILDREN BURNT TO DEATH (PAGE 34, MIRROR, JAN 2)

From George Ernest Asare, Kumasi.

Atease, a farming community near Barekese in the Atwima District of Ashanti, was turned into mourning grounds when a 38-year-old nursing mother and her six children, including a set of twins, were burnt beyond recognition at the weekend.
According to the police, the room in which the deceased, Helena Nsiah, and her children were sleeping last Sunday caught fire and all efforts to put it out proved futile.
The bodies of the deceased have been deposited at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital for autopsy.
The children were identified as Achiaa, 17; Naomi Boakye, 14; Gabriel Boakye, 12; Lydia Boakye, 7, and the set of female twins who were seven months old.
The police arrested Helena’s husband, who was identified as Samuel Nsiah, but he has been released on bail, pending further investigations.
The Ashanti Regional Police Public Affairs Officer, Chief Inspector Muhammad Tanko, who briefed the Mirror on the incident, said Helena and her children were sleeping in a single room, while her 70-year-old mother, who had paid them a visit, was in another room.
He explained that the deceased was sleeping with her husband on the day of the incident but around 10 p.m. Samuel left them with the explanation that he was going to sleep in his cottage about two kilometres away.
He said it was at that time that the room caught fire, prompting the 70-year-old lady to shout for help. But those who were attracted to the scene could not put out the fire due to its intensity.
Chief Inspector Tanko said following the incident, the police arrested the husband for questioning but released him on bail to assist in further investigations.

3 ATTEMPT TO BRIBE KUMASI MTU (PAGE 34, MIRROR, JAN 2)

From George Ernest Asare, Kumasi

Three middle-aged men who allegedly attempted to bribe some officials of the Police Motor Traffic and Transport Unit (MTTU) in Kumasi who have impounded a Nissan Urvan bus carrying quantities of leaves suspected to be Indian Hemp are in trouble with the law.
According to MTTU officials, Atta Kofi, 38, from Akrowa; Kwaku Oppong, 47, from Kodie, and Hamdu Mohamed, 40, also a resident at Kodie, went to the MTTU on December 17, 2009 with the GH¢800.00 bribe and were arrested to help in investigations.
The trio have been remanded in prison custody.
The Ashanti Regional MTTU Commander, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Abraham Bansah, who briefed The Mirror, said the case had been referred to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) for further investigations while the dry leaves had also been handed over to the narcotics control unit for further investigations.
Explaining the circumstances that led to the arrest of the suspects, Mr Bansah said the MTTU officials spotted the vehicle heading towards Kumasi around 2:30 a.m. on December 17, 2009, while on their usual motor checks at Buoho, on the Kumasi-Offinso road.
He said the officials signalled it to stop for the usual inspection, but moments after the vehicle had stopped, the driver and the two passengers alighted and took to their heels, leaving the key behind.
A search in the vehicle revealed the dry leaves and the vehicle was driven to the MTTU headquarters.
Mr Bansah said around 10 a.m the same day, he was told that the suspects had come to the station in an attempt to bribe the officials for the release of the vehicle and its contents.
The commander, therefore, directed some of his men to feign interest and the suspects were nabbed after giving out the money.

MAN 21, NABBED FOR STEALING (MIRROR, PAGE 34, JAN 2)

From George Ernest Asare, Kumasi

An attempt by a 21-year-old man to allegedly use foul means to raise money to celebrate Christmas backfired as he was arrested by the Kumasi Central Motor Traffic and Transport Unit Police (MTTU) before he could put his plans into action.
The man, Andrews Agyemang Baah was arrested by some residents of Mampongteng , near Kumasi when he attempted to run away after the MTTU had stopped a vehicle carrying a generator he had allegedly stolen from Asenua, near Mamponteng.
The suspect was allegedly taking the generator to Yeji to sell to raise money to celebrate the Christmas festivities, but he was arrested half way through the journey.
Moments after the police had stopped the Nissan Urvan carrying the suspect, some passengers and the stolen generator, the suspect jumped through a window on the vehicle and took to his heels, compelling the driver and the police to give him a hot chase.
Some residents of Mampongteng who were attracted by the shouts joined the chase, managed to arrest the suspect and handed him over to the police.
His accomplice, Peter Gyamfi, 25, however managed to escape arrest and the police have mounted a search to arrest him to help in their investigations.
Briefing The Mirror on the incident, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Abraham Bansah said at about 4 a.m. on Monday, December 22, 2009, while the Central MTTU were on their usual rounds to check vehicles, they stopped a Nissan Urvan with registration number AS 1972 X, carrying a generator and some passengers and therefore demanded to know the owner of the generator.
He said moments after the driver of the vehicle had pointed to the suspect and his accomplice as the owners of the generator, the two jumped from the vehicle and took to their heels, compelling the driver and the police to shout to attract the youth to help chase them.
Mr Bansah said a few minutes later, the youth succeeded in arresting the suspect, but his accomplice managed to escape.
He said the MTTU had handed the suspect over to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) to investigate and prosecute the suspect.

GAWU PRESENTS SPRAYING MACHINES TO FARMERS (PAGE 22, DEC 31)

THE executive of the General Agricultural Workers’ Union (GAWU) in the Ashanti Region have presented a number of spraying machines and pesticides to some farmers in the region.
The gesture was meant to reduce post harvest losses of food crops in the region.
The executives also donated quantities of tarpaulins to the farmers to enable them to dry their cereals and other crops effectively to improve their quality and market value.
About 300 farmers from five communities in the region are to benefit from the gesture and according to the regional officer of the union, “ our main objective is to enhance income generation of the beneficiary farmers to encourage the youth to venture into agriculture, and thereby reduce unemployment among them”.
The beneficiary communities are Kyereyaase, Nerebehi, Foase, Afrancho and Kokoben.
The Regional Officer of GAWU, Mr Clement Alosebuno Kaba, told the Daily Graphic that the union’s collaboration with the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) made it possible for it to source for the items for the beneficiary farmers.
He said farmers in the region always worried about post harvest losses which undermined their income generation effort and thereby made it impossible for them to expand their farms.
“Our gesture is a project dubbed strategic intervention from the Canadian Empowerment programme to reduce post harvest losses of crops like maize, cowpea, rice, cassava, plantain and yams among others, and thereby enhance income-generation efforts of farmers. It is also to encourage them to expand their farms and ensure adequate food security,”, he stressed.
He said since the project was introduced about a year ago, many farmers had benefited from it and gave the assurance that many more would benefit from the gesture to minimise post harvest losses.
Mr Kaba expressed concern about the farmers not being able to have easy access to agricultural extension officers and that only a “ few extension officers are on the field attending to many farmers, so the officers are not able to reach out to as many farmers as possible and teach them modern techniques of farming to enhance food security “
He appealed to the government to employ graduates from the agricultural colleges and universities for them to fill the gap and offer the requisite technical know-how to farmers for them to adopt modern ways of farming to enhance food security in the country”.
Mrs Beatrice Duku Frimpong Boateng, who received the items on behalf of the beneficiary farmers, commended GAWU and CIDA for their wonderful gesture.
“ With the items, we would be able to combat pests effectively and use the tarpaulins to dry our crops to improve their quality and thereby enhance their market values”.
She gave the assurance that the items would be maintained to encourage the donors to support them in other areas.