Friday, December 31, 2010

MOTORISTS FINED FOR FLOUTING TRAFFIC REGULATIONS (MIRROR, DEC 31, 2010, PAGE 19)

From George Ernest Asare, Asante Mampong

AS part of measures to instil sanity on the road and reduce the incidence of road traffic accidents in the Mampong Municipality and its environs, the Police Motor Traffic and Transport Unit (MTTU) has embarked on an exercise to arrest and prosecute motorists who have been flouting road traffic regulations.
So far, nine drivers have been arrested, prosecuted and fined to pay various sums of money since the exercise started last week.
Four others were cautioned and discharged when they appeared before the court.
A Mampong Circuit Court, presided over by Miss Joyce Bamfo, fined the nine drivers to pay a total of GH¢1,308 after the court, found them guilty of flouting various road traffic regulations.
The drivers pleaded guilty to using expired road worthy certificates, underweight driving licence, rickety vehicles and worn out tyres among other offences.
Briefing The Mirror about the exercise, the Mampong Municipal MTTU commander, DSP Benjamin Kwadwo Gyasi, said with Christmas festivities the tendency for motorists to disregard road safety measures with the intention of increasing sales was high, hence, the exercise.
He pointed out that the Municipal MTTU had put stringent measures in place to ensure that motorists strictly abided by road traffic regulations before, during and after the Christmas festivities, to reduce the trauma passengers go through anytime a vehicle was involved in an accident.
He gave the names of the convicted drivers as; Frank Kwarteng; Louis Osei Peprah; Kofi Akyeampong and Daniel Boakye.
The others included; Francis Boadi; Abdulai Awudu; Emmanuel Adomako; Peter Owusu and Emmanuel Osei Justice.
DSP Gyasi urged drivers to be law abiding by strictly complying with road traffic regulations to prevent them from being arrested and prosecuted.
He pointed out that the duty of the police was not to harass drivers but to ensure that they operated within the confines of the law to make travelling more comfortable and enjoyable.
DSP Gyasi said it was equally important for executives of the various drivers’ unions to impress on their members to maintain their vehicles regularly and regularise their documents to ensure that they did not fall victims to the exercise being carried out by the police.

BUSINESSMAN IN TROUBLE OVER INHUMAN TREATMENT (MIRROR, DEC 31, 2010, PAGE 19)

From George Ernest Asare, Obuasi

A magistrate Court at Obuasi presided over by Mr Owusu Sekyere has slapped a GH¢6,000 court fine at an Obuasi businessman after he was found guilty on charges of assault and subjecting a 12-year-old boy to inhuman treatment.
John Bonful, aka Santiago, forced the boy to eat his own faeces after assaulting him, a situation that caused a lot of public outcry.
When Bonful appeared before the court, he pleaded not guilty to the charges, but was found guilty after the court had gone through the full trial of the case.
The convict was made to pay GH¢3,000 as court fine to the charges preferred against him, and was also ordered to pay GH¢ 3,000 as compensation to the child he abused.
He was given a week to settle the compensation to the victim after he paid the court fine.
Earlier, the prosecutor, Chief Superintendent Emmanuel Amissah, told the court that in March, this year parents of the victim reported that Bonful had assaulted the boy for defecating in public.
He said not satisfied with his action, Bonful again forced the boy to eat the faeces as a form of punishment.
He said the action caused the parents of the boy to report the action of Bonful to the police who arrested and charged him for the offence after investigations were completed.

Monday, December 27, 2010

SOROMA CAPITAL TO BUILD APARTMENTS IN KUMASI (PAGE 18, DEC 27, 2010)

THE Akyempemhene, Oheneba Adusei Poku, has broken grounds for construction work to begin on a $3.5 million 18 apartments at the Ridge residential area in Kumasi.
The project which is being undertaken by Soroma Capital and expected to be completed by December 2011, aims at reducing accommodation problems among the working class, enhancing the beauty of Kumasi and boosting the tourist attractions in the metropolis.
About 40 people have so far been employed to work on the project and expectations are that many more would be employed as construction works progress.
Addressing a cross-section of the public during a brief ceremony, Oheneba Adusei Poku commended Soroma Capital for initiating the project at one of the high-class residential areas in Kumasi.
He said the project would not only add to the tourist attractions in Kumasi when completed, but would also provide accommodation for the emerging middle-class group who find it difficult to rent apartments in the metropolis.
Oheneba Adusei Poku pointed out that it was therefore, important for the project managers to put premium in the quality of work to entice others to invest in real estate, which he said, had now become the norm in urban centres.
“For the first time, Kumasi is going to have first-class real estate edifice which befits its status as the Garden City, so it is important that you use all the requisite expertise and avoid compromising on quality” he advised.
He gave the assurance that he would consult the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, for him to release adequate land for investors who would be interested in investing in real estate, and thereby ease accommodation problems affecting residents in the metropolis.
In his address, the Project Manager of Soroma Capital, Mr Kwabena Addi-Kissiedu, said their desire of initiating the project in Kumasi, especially the Ridge residential area, was to offer the emerging middle-class group the opportunity to be accommodated in high-class residential areas.
That, he said, would not only provide serene atmosphere for them to concentrate on their core businesses, but would also enable them have the peace of mind to focus on how to increase productivity and income generation.
Explaining further, Mr Addi-Kissiedu noted, “Property investors are interested in diversifying their portfolios geographically, and Soroma Capital is blazing the trail with these apartments in Kumasi as our contribution to raise standards in the metropolis”.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

ASHANTI RECORDS 572 FIRE OUTBREAKS (MIRROR, PAGE 34, DEC 24, 2010)

AFrom George Ernest Asare, Kumasi

A TOTAL of 572 fire outbreaks, including domestic, industrial, vehicle and bushfires were recorded in the Ashanti Region between January and November this year.
The estimated cost of property totally destroyed by fire in the region during the period were pegged at Gh¢ 2,254,878.80.
The Ashanti Regional Fire Officer, ACFO, Mr P. A. Mensah, who made this known when the acting Chief Fire Officer, Mr Albert Brown-Gaisie, paid a familiarisation visit to Kumasi, said during the same period last year, a total of 602 fire outbreaks were recorded.
He said a total of GH¢2,342,538 properties were also destroyed last year. Mr Mensah pointed out that during the period under review, the various regional fire stations responded positively to rescue exercises, especially during road traffic collisions involving various vehicles.
Explaining, he said, they responded to 63 road traffic collisions, which caused 27 deaths as a result of multiple injuries the victims sustained.
He said in all, 76 passengers who sustained injuries were rushed to hospital, making it possible for them to receive medical care.
He said compared to last year, there had been a decrease in fire outbreaks in the region and attributed the situation to the safety education campaigns being carried out.
He pointed out that the fire safety educational campaigns were gradually creating the needed awareness, saying, “ The public now fully appreciate the socio-economic effects of fire outbreaks”.
Assuring that they would not relent their effort to move the fire safety campaigns to market places, churches, educational institutions, industries and the media among other places.
He pointed out that as part of their educational campaigns, they observed a safety week between December 6 and 10, on the theme “ Fire safety, everybody’s concern”.
He said during the campaign they interacted with many female groups, institutions, radio stations, artisans and market women.
He said notwithstanding the numerous challenges confronting them in their educational campaigns and core duties of responding to emergencies, they lacked the needed equipment that would facilitate their operations.
He said Fire Stations at Kuntanase, Agona, Ejura, New Edubiase, Fomena and Nkenkansu among others do not have fire appliances.
He said those with appliances such as Manhyia, Mamponteng, Komfo Anokye and Bekwai “ have developed weak engines and have therefore been booked out of commission”.
On the numerical strength of their staff, Mr Mensah said out of 541 personnel in the region, “a good number are on terminal leave prior to retirement”
He, therefore, pleaded that authorities place high premium on recruitment and manpower development as a way of beefing up their strength.
In his remarks, Mr Brown-Gaisie commended personnel in the region for their commitment to their core businesses.
He also assured of the measures being taken to provide them with the needed equipment to facilitate their operations.

Monday, December 20, 2010

KOTOKO WIN 2-1 (BACK PAGE, DEC 20, 2010)

Kumasi Asante Kotoko ended the first round of the Glo Premier League on a bright note by defeating Wa All Stars 2-1 at the Baba Yara Stadium yesterday.
All Stars put up a brilliant display and therefore deserved to win at least a point but failed to convert their chances, especially in the first half.
Kotoko were awarded a penalty in the first half but Daniel Nii Adjei failed to convert the opportunity to the disappointment of the teeming fans.
However, Prince Boateng shot Kotoko into the lead in the 57th minute by beating two defenders before delivering a shot that beat goalkeeper Robert Dabuo.In the 67th minute, Opoku doubled the lead for Kotoko with a 25-metre drive before undaunted All Stars pulled a goal back through Nathaniel Asamoah who outwitted two Kotoko defenders before putting the ball at the blind side of goalkeeper Isaac Amoako.

KUMASI BANS 99 VEHICLES (PAGE 3, DEC 20, 2010)

NINETY-NINE commercial and private vehicles operating within the Kumasi metropolis have been prohibited from using any road in the country due to the danger they pose to other road users.
A total of 125 commercial and private transport operators in the metropolis and its environs have also been convicted to pay various fines for flouting road traffic regulations.
This was after they had been arrested between November 5 and December 10, 2010 and successfully prosecuted.
The convicts, who pleaded guilty to the charges preferred against them, were made to pay GH¢16,640 as fines after they had been found guilty of road traffic offences.
Seventy-six others whose vehicles were prohibited from using the roads have, however, repaired all the defects on their vehicles and been issued with roadworthy certificates.
The arrest and conviction of the drivers followed the operations of a joint task force comprising the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) and the Motor Traffic and Transport Unit (MTTU) of the Ghana Police Service mandated to enforce road traffic regulations.
The Ashanti Regional Licencing Officer, Mr Noah Tettey Matey, who briefed the Daily Graphic on the operations, said the offences of the convicted drivers ranged from the use of defective brakes, rickety vehicles and underweight licences to expired roadworthy stickers and broken windscreens.
He said the use of worn-out tyres and disconnected rear brakes also came under scrutiny during the operations, causing the task force to arrest and prosecute many offenders.
Mr Matey said the task force scrutinised 1,010 vehicles, including 225 taxis, 117 private cars, 224 mini-buses and 47 motorcycles.
He said they also scrutinised 151 Mercedes Benz 207 buses, 100 light trucks, 73 cargo trucks, 24 tractors and 19 articulated trucks, assuring the public that the exercise would be sustained to bring sanity on the roads.
Mr Matey said at the moment five of the cases were still pending before the court, while two drivers had been cautioned and discharged.
He said the court also issued a bench warrant for the arrest of three drivers who failed to appear before it.
He pointed out that the spate of accidents on the roads could partly be blamed on the rampant break-down of vehicles on major trunk roads, saying the situation could be greatly reduced if drivers regularly maintained their vehicles.
He said the task force would continue to be in operation, even after Christmas, to ensure that drivers complied with road traffic regulations.

Friday, December 17, 2010

MTTU BOSS TO APPEAL AGAINST DRIVERS ACQUITTAL (MIRROR, PAGE 28, DEC 18, 2010)

From George Ernest Asare, Kumasi

The Commanding Officer of the Police Motor Traffic and Transport Unit (MTTU), Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Awuni Angwubutoge, has threatened to appeal against a case in which the Motor Court, presided over by Justice Mariam Sulemna Sinera, acquitted and discharged a 21-year-old driver who had pleaded guilty to committing various traffic offences.
Briefing The Mirror about the case, he said the driver, Nurudeen Gaisie, who was in charge of LT cargo truck with registration number GT 387 A, was arrested on December 2, 2010, for driving a commercial vehicle without valid licence.
He said the driver was also using a vehicle with no valid road worthy certificate and worn out tyres.
“The vehicle was also very weak, with a rusty body which had the tendency to create danger to other road users” he explained.
Explaining further, Mr Awuni said officers of the MTTU arrested the driver along the Graphic–Kaneshie road around 1.00 p.m. on December 2, 2010, and when he was asked to produce his licence, he could not do so.
He said he was also 21 years old and driving a commercial vehicle was against traffic regulations.
Mr Awuni said during inspection, the officers found out that all the tyres on the vehicle were completely worn out, exposing the inner threads, and further inspection also revealed that the road worthy certificate had expired for more than a year.
He said after investigations, the driver was charged for using an expired road worthy certificate, driving a commercial vehicle without valid licence and using a vehicle that exposed other road users to danger, among other offences.
He said when Nurudeen appeared before the Motor Court, he pleaded guilty to all the offences, but surprisingly the judge acquitted and discharged him.
Expressing his displeasure against the ruling, Mr Awuni said such actions by the courts undermined the efforts by the police to enforce road traffic regulations.
He pointed out that the MTTU needed to be encouraged to enforce road traffic regulations as a way of reducing the rate of accidents that had been claiming precious lives and destroying property all year round.
Mr Awuni pointed out that as Christmas approached, the tendency for drivers to disregard road safety regulations were high, saying MTTU personnel would be on duty to enforce road traffic regulations, but their efforts would not yield positive results if the courts continue to set drivers free when they plead guilty to offences committed.