Thursday, February 12, 2009

NANA ADUSAH MAKES A LIVING BY SELLING ROASTED PLANTAIN (PAGE 11)

NANA Amma Adusah is an old woman at Bantama in the Kumasi metropolis who serves her numerous customers roasted plantain. She is popular for one thing; she services them with a broad smile.
She has been in that business since her prime, and continues to do so as her only source of livelihood.
Although she could not give her actual age, family sources told the Daily Graphic that Nana Adusah was about 97 years old.
Occasionally, she also sells fruits such as oranges, pineapples mangoes and bananas, depending on the season.
Nana Adusah, whose interview with this reporter in Akan was translated to English, said " I started roasting plantain a long time ago, even before I gave birth to my two children, who incidentally are both dead, and in spite of my age, I have to continue doing it.
“This is because I have no one to fall on for financial support, and since I do not want to starve to death, I have to come here every day, to serve my customers and to generate a little income for my livelihood," she said.
Nana Amma Adusah‘s business is located infront of her family house, indicating that she just have to walk a few metres from the house to the place where she operates her business.
She said having been in active business for the past 70 years had also strengthened her physically, and the urge for survival keeps her going, as she had no problem with her sight.
"I did not have any money at that time to start any lucrative business, and since roasting plantain did not require any huge capital, I started it," She explained.
A 53-year-old fish monger and a family member, Madam Akua Safowaa, told the Daily Graphic that Nana Adusah took care of her (Akua Safowaa) deceased mother, Maame Yaa Dufie.
" My mother told me that Nana Adusah was the one who nursed her when her mother was away, and since my mother was 83 years before she died three years ago, it means that Nana Adusah could not be less than 97 years of age," She explained.
"I am saying this because Nana Adusah would have been more than 10 years old at the time she was actively taking care of my deceased mother who died three years ago at the age of 83," she explained.
On why she was still doing brisk business after serving her customers for more than 70 years, Nana Adusah, who comes from Apemanim in the Ashanti Region, explained that one of her grandchildren who was the bread winner died mysteriously in Abidjan "and this added to my woes because at the moment, all my children who should have taken care of me are dead and with the death of my grandchild, Sam, eleven years ago, I solely depend on God for strength to enable me to continue with this business, or I will starve to death".
"This is not an easy job, especially at this age, and I am hoping that help will come from somewhere and from any philanthropist willing to support me financially to survive, but in the absence of any help from any body, I will continue roasting plantain, and sell fruits until I join my ancestors," Nana Adusah stressed.

No comments: