Friday, May 28, 2010

OLDEST TWIN LEAVES SISTER LONELY (MIRROR, PAGE 3, May 29, 2010)

From George Ernest Asare, Kumasi

Less than two months after news of Kumasi-based twins who are over 100 years hit the headlines, one of them has kicked the bucket, leaving her sister the challenge to face the stress of life alone.
The younger of the twin sisters — Obaapanin Adwoa Ataa — who resided at Nzema, a Kumasi suburb, died on May 18, 2010 after a short illness.
“She has left me alone. I am not only saddened by her sudden departure, but also praying that God will give me the needed strength, courage and spiritual guidance to meet any challenge that may confront me in the near future,” the surviving twin, Obaapanin Adwoa Ataa senior, bemoaned when The Mirror reached her at her residence at Nzema last Wednesday.
When The Mirror asked about their last intimate discussion before her demise, Obaapanin Ataa senior noted, “She was taken to Gee ( Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital) moments after the illness became intense, but because of my age, I couldn’t visit her until news of her death hit me like a bullet”.
“I, however visited her as regularly as possible when she was at home, and any time we met, we discussed a lot of issues, including how old age and diseases had succeeded in tearing us apart.
“We also shared interesting things about our youthful exuberance, especially after we started giving birth, but now she is gone, leaving me alone.”
With her demise, I am left with only one surviving sibling — Yaa Nyankomago - who is about 70 years old. My prayer is that God will not only keep us together for a long time to enable us to support each other and our family, but would also guide us to enable us to take good care of our children,” she prayed.
News about the twins was first published in The Mirror on March 26, 2010 after it became known that they were the oldest surviving twins residing at Nzema and its environs.
They were the second born of their parents, Obaapanin Yaa Frema and Opanin Kwame Mensah.
After the twins were born, their mother gave birth to another set of twins but they died at a tender age.
They, however, had other surviving siblings, but as fate would have it, they died one after the other, leaving the old ladies and Nyankomago who looked very disturbed during the interview.
“Now that Ataa junior is gone, I feel very lonely and with the frequent ill health I am praying that God will give me the strength to go through the hazards of life to enable me to leave a legacy before I join my ancestors,” she lamented.
Stressing, she noted, “I was very disturbed when news of her death hit me, but as a mortal, what can I do? I am ready to face any challenge that may confront me, but with God as my guardian, I know I will overcome any challenge and make the best out of anything that would face me in life.”
When The Mirror met the twins in March, the deceased, survived by six children including a 73 year old farmer, said she was happy to have been blessed with six children and many grand children, including a set of twins, who were also born on Monday.
“My great grandchild, Akosua Nyarko, is said to have given birth to a set of female twins, just as we were, and I am praying that God blesses them with good health and wealth, so that they can enjoy life to the full,” she told The Mirror at her residence.
During that interview, the surviving twin said, “When I gave birth, my sister visited me regularly at Wawase, where my husband, Opanin Kwabena Akwaboa, and I resided. This was before she also married and later gave birth to her children.”
On how they were able to outlive many neighbours, they noted, “We were active farmers and worked very hard to earn our living. Our husbands had cocoa farms, so regular farming activities, coupled with eating fresh vegetables and fruits made us healthy.”
On when the funeral rites would be held, Obaapanin Ataa senior said already they had observed the one-week celebration, and the final funeral rites would be held at Nzema on August 14, 2010.

No comments: