Sunday, April 12, 2009

MANHYIA POLICE STATION NEEDS FACELIFT (PAGE 29)

Moments after I had been ushered into the room which is supposed to house the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Manhyia Police in Kumasi, I quickly retreated because of the intense heat that welcomed me.
Though I had passed by the office on countless occasions, I had not found any cause to enter either the charge office or the CID office.
However, as a result of a crime story I was writing and the need to seek further clarification from a police source, I was compelled to venture into the Manhyia Police Station for the first time.
When I was directed to the CID office, I was momentarily taken aback.
That was because where I was directed to was a kiosk with a small entrance which had not received any meaningful maintenance for some years.
Because of the intense heat, the three officers I met after I had gathered courage to enter the kiosk for the second time were all sweating.
Since every caller is a potential ally of the police, the officers had provided two wooden benches for would-be callers, but years of use seemed to have affected the stability of the benches to the extent that the least contact causes them to shake uncontrollably.
The numerous files scattered in the office, a few chairs that accommodated the officers who worked there and other logistics that had been provided to facilitate the work of the officers always created congestion in the supposed CID office. Thus every minute spent there was likely to create a health problem.
Fortunately, the officer I wanted to contact was not in the office so I spent less than three minutes there. But because there was no fan or air conditioner to help reduce the heat, the little time I spent there was enough to make me sweat profusely.
I was very relieved when I came out, but I commended the officers who had been working in such an office for years.
The charge office was not different from the CID office, but ironically, both are a few metres from the Manhyia Palace that houses the Golden Stool and is regarded as one of the most prominent tourist attractions in Kumasi.
With the climax of the 10th anniversary of the coronation of Otumfuo Osei Tutu II as the Asantehene drawing nearer, it is my prayer that some of the many institutions, companies, firms, philanthropists and individuals who are making contributions to support the committee planning the anniversary would be touched to support the rehabilitation of the Manhyia Police Station to make life a bit more comfortable for the police officers and their potential visitors.
This is because the station is not only part of the Manhyia Palace but also contributes meaningfully towards the provision of security for the numerous local and foreign visitors who troop to the Manhyia Palace every day.

No comments: